Effective May 25, 2018. Working toward GDPR compliance.
“Personal Data” is any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
By visiting www.dnaconnexions.com or related properties, (together the “Site”), you acknowledge that you have read and understood the processes and policies referred to in this Notice.
HOW TO CONTACT US
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is DNA Connexions.
The General Manager, Jamie Tolle, is responsible for overseeing questions in relation to this Notice for the purposes of the GDPR.
You can contact us by phone at +1 719-219-2826, 888-843-5832 (USA or Canada Toll Free), by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at 4685 Centennial Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80919
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
Personal Data that you give us
We may collect and process the following Personal Data:
• Contact information, which you provide when corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Site and when you report a problem with our Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
• Due payment information, including financial information such as credit/debit card and account numbers used to register or renew your membership.
• Purchase information, relating to purchases made, conference and event participation, books, reports, journals or newsletter subscriptions either in-person or via our Site. Purchase information will include financial information as well as information concerning the content and time of the purchase.
Personal data we collect from you
With regard to each of your visits to the Site we will automatically collect the following information:
• Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
• Information about your visit, including pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and
• Location information
Personal Data we collect from others
We may receive information about you from publicly available and third-party databases or services that provide information about business people that we believe will help us identify provide products and services that may be of interest to you. We will obtain your consent before contacting you if required by the law of the country in which you are located.
We collect information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and we may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to our Site, including, without limitation:
• IP addresses
• Browser type and plug-in details
• Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)
• Operating system
• Local time zone
We may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving our Site. We employ “cookies” to collect information about you and your usage of the website. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer and collects information about how you use our website. We also gather information about your individual use of our services, such as types of data accessed, times and volume of use, duration of sessions and other similar usage or system data. If you are not logged into our website but are browsing the website’s public areas, we log IP addresses and domain names. We cannot use this technical non-personally identifiable information to identify you personally. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (3) we are required by law, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests.
Personal Data that you give us
We may use Personal Data that you provide directly to us for the following purposes:
• to carry out our obligations arising from your requests and orders, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
• to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
• to provide our newsletter, electronic communications and other publications, provided you have given your consent;
• to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
• to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
• to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
• to notify you about changes to our membership service; and
• to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Information we collect about you
We will use Personal Data that we have collected about your use of our Site:
• to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
• to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
• as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
• to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
• to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Personal Data we receive from other sources
We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
WHEN WE SHARE AND WHO CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Notice with:
• a member of our group
• partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, for the performance of obligations arising from your purchases, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us
• analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site
• trusted third-party companies and individuals to help us provide, analyze, and improve the Site and our membership services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and payment processing)
We will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
SELLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will never sell your Personal Data to third parties without your opt-in consent.
Although we use security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers.
Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA OUTSIDE OF THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA (“EEA”) AND INTERNATIONAL USES
We are headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using our Service, you consent to any transfer of this information.
HOW LONG WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will store your Personal Data, in a form which permits us to identify you, for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. We may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with our Site. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you service, contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. We maintain one or more databases to store your Personal Data and may keep such information indefinitely.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Personal Data that you provide to us is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
Our Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13, if you are not 13 years or older, do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If we learn that Personal Data of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Data to our Site without your consent, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor’s Personal Data from our systems.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICES
Our Sites may contain links to third party websites, applications and services not operated by us. These links are provided as a service and do not imply any endorsement by us of the activities or content of these sites, applications or services nor any association with their operators. Company is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party including websites or services directly linked to our Service. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third-party site that you link from our Service.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that we have about you is incorrect, you may change it by visiting
If you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, please contact us at email@example.com.
Additionally, if you prefer not to receive marketing messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any marketing message that you receive or by updating your email preferences under your site profile.
Your European Rights
FOR EUROPEAN RESIDENTS ONLY. You have the right to ask us not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your Personal Data) if we intend to use your Personal Data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your Personal Data. You can also exercise the right by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Under European data protection law, in certain circumstances, you have the right to:
• Request access to your Personal Data. You may have the right to request access to any Personal Data we hold about you as well as related information, including the purposes for processing the Personal Data, the recipients or categories of recipients with whom the Personal Data has been shared, where possible, the period for which the Personal Data will be stored, the source of the Personal Data, and the existence of any automated decision making.
• Request correction of your Personal Data. You may have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of any inaccurate Personal Data we hold about you.
• Request deletion of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request that Personal Data held about you is deleted.
• Object to processing of your Personal Data. You may have the right to prevent or restrict processing of your Personal Data.
• Request restriction of processing your Personal Data Request transfer of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request transfer of Personal Data directly to a third party where this is technically feasible.
• Withdraw your consent
In addition, where you believe that DNA Connexions has not complied with its obligations under this Notice or European law, you have the right to make a complaint to an EU Data Protection Authority, such as the UK Information Commissioner’s Office.
You can exercise any of these rights by contacting us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
If we make any material changes to this Notice or the way we use, share or collect personal Data, we will notify you by revising the “Effective Date” at the top of this Notice, prominently posting an announcement of the changes on our Site, or sending an email to the email address you most recently provided us (unless we do not have such an email address) prior to the new policy taking effect.
Any changes we make to this Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notification sent to you by email. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Notice.